Leelo eating apples for the first time in five years:
Seymour and the girls are celebrating Thanksgiving at Seymour's parents' house, so it was just me and Leelo today. We had a lovely hike with Ep and Merlin mid-day, but then had several hours before our friends Godfather M, Roo & Spot, and Ep & family showed up for take-out Indian food Thanksgiving dinner.
I decided that break would be a good time to see if Leelo would try a new food, if I provided enough:
- Incentive (he didn't get an afternoon snack until he tried a bite of apple)
- Positive reinforcement (huge big production and praise when he did try a bite)
- Role modeling (yum yum, look, this is such a delicious apple, I love it! I think you will like it too because it's crunchy like veggie chips!)
- Isolation (no one but me to hit or act out on)
- Patience (I had four hours to wait him out)
I am very, very proud of Leelo for finally taking that leap of faith, for trying a new food for the first time in years. And I told him so, frequently, for the rest of the day.